Sunday 27 May 2007

Love's Series

Love's Imagination

To love someone deeply gives you strength.
Being loved by someone deeply gives you courage.

~ Lau Tzu

Our time together was sweet my love,
Time spent together has ended at last
As push has finally come to shove,
And now we must consider fast
Where we shall meet each other above,
As the fields of the next world are vast,
And the hand of God removes its glove
To make this life of ours part of the past.

You gave me the strength to face each day,
To stop from trying to end my life,
Our wedding had no chance of nay,
For the rest of our eternity: man and wife.
To this it has come and I never did pray,
Faith was not necessary to fight this knife,
And with the final breaths one does say:
I’ll see you soon, our time is rife.

Leaving you to your new existence,
Seeing your body pool with vital fluid,
I take up mine and seek vengeance,
For a world without you is truly arid,
And though this strength has transience,
And my courage is only briefly rabid,
They manifest from your absence,
They burn and linger like a celestial acid.

When retribution is ultimately found,
When my soul’s hunger is no more,
When I can listen to the satisfying sound,
Of gargling as I pierce his core.
But though he is now blood drowned,
My imagination and emotions are sore,
So I return to my real princess bound,
My strength and courage spore.


Love's Language

It's strange that words are so inadequate. Yet, like the asthmatic
struggling for breath, so the lover must struggle for words.

~ T. S. Elliot

Deep love and language,
The expression of passion,
Hard to explain or gauge,
How a person truly feels,
When words are only seals.

They restrict love, our lust,
That’s all we really need,
For words will have us bust,
Because our souls don’t speak,
Another way do they seek.

Lay you down next to me,
Remove the barriers of sense,
Allow us both to clearly see,
Spiritually commune together,
Without words we are sure.

“I love you”, one of the charms,
But this I do not require,
If you’ll take me in your arms,
And show me your love’s form,
Keep me from the speaking storm.


Love's Secrecy

Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without
and know we cannot live within.

~ James A. Baldwin

When we first began dating,
Part of me suspected
That you would not sing
To the tune I expected.
I don’t blame you though,
Given what we now know.

When you told me “No more”,
I held back the pain and fear,
Holding onto hope, a shore,
Clinging to you, my dear.
I could never have let go,
Given what I didn’t know.

I continued to love you,
Whether you realised or not,
I knew it was what I had to do,
My golden, magic, only shot.
Poisoned dart that I blow,
It took you time to know.

I tried to move from the past,
But I could not scale that wall,
Without you I cannot last,
My one, my only, my all.
We have something to show,
Now that you too know.


Note: I in no way regret nor hold any ill will because of my hidden feelings in 2006, quite the contrary, it was strangely nice to spend time with her in a way where we didn't have an official commitment to each other (and means that our dedication to one another was and is all the stronger). That said, I am glad things have gone the way they have, because I realised I didn't want anyone else.


Love's Proximity

Can miles truly separate you from friends? If you want
to be with someone you love, aren't you already there?

~ Richard Bach

I’m hours from you by train,
Talking to you keeps me sane,
Here I will for some time remain,
For here I have much to gain.

My love cannot tire from this,
Only grow stronger when I kiss,
Only get fonder because I miss,
Only allow me, seeing you, bliss.

Distance means nothing to me,
As with you I will forever be,
In a way you don’t touch or see,
A connection filled solely with glee.


Love's Comfort

A man reserves his true and deepest love not for the species of woman in whose company he finds himself electrified and enkindled, but for that one in whose company he may feel tenderly drowsy.
~ George Jean Nathan

Our souls in privacy are one of two,
Excited in me brings the same in you,
As passion is the core of our language,
Like animals in a furious rage.

After pleasure fades away it leaves room,
For comfort of body and soul to bloom,
Less of a joy, this is nothing like that,
In your arms is where I want to be at.

Laying together, arms tightly wrapped,
We may not notice when we have napped,
For nowhere else can I find such great peace,
Never let me go, do not ever cease.


Love's Tomb

Take away love, and our earth is a tomb.
~ Robert Browning

I smell the musty fetid air
Of a world that misplaced love,
Dust of the dead swirling
Through the streets once fair.

It all began when love died,
Started to become petty,
Where the respect was lost,
When all breath was sighed.

From then it spiralled again,
Small spats, hysterical fights,
A pair once bound by vows
Went psychotically insane.

Beyond that it went too far,
To physical violence and pain,
Hell created by one another
Water replaced by boiling tar.

The climax was soon at hand,
As weapons were brandished,
And now, buried they are,
No longer do they stand.

Love does forever remain,
In the ashes of this earth,
It will never cease to exist,
And for us, never be a bane.

I would never end you and I
In fear of this happening,
For love cannot be lost,
Only taken away with a sigh.


Love's Apology

Love means not ever having to say you're sorry.
~ Erich Segal

I’m sorry that I have to go,
That I need to leave you here,
Never looking to the rear,
Not letting my pain show.

I’m sorry for not telling you,
For keeping it a secret so long,
I’ll never again sing you our song,
Because of what I need to do.

I’m sorry because it hurts deeply,
Know that it tears at my soul,
This was never once my goal:
The prices have been paid steeply.

But for all this I have no worry,
Because of your love and respect,
And the morality that you expect,
I have no need to say sorry.


Love's Appreciation

The way to love anything is to realise that it may be lost.
~ Gilbert K. Chesterton

You were there for me,
A long time together.

I was there for you,
The feelings we gather.

There for each other,
Love’s come hither.

You left me one day,
Never lasts forever.

Goodbye you did say,
Truth is love’s tether.

Never to return again,
Sombre honest heather,

So part did we then,
Predictable as weather.

I will try to find another,
Who’s less of a bother.

They never will be you,
But a pain breather.

I miss you my love,
That’s why I dither.

I wish to be born again,
To prevent this wither.


Note: While my experience with my girlfriend allows this to be dedicated to her because of the insight it gave me, it is also dedicated to my College English Literature teacher, Hayley (for events in her life I won't go into).

Technical note: This poem can be read 3 different ways - line 1 & line 2 of each stanza together all the way down, only line 1 of each stanza all the way down, or only line 2 of each stanza all the way down.

No comments: